Thursday, October 9, 2008

Our "Real" Family Vacation




So it has taken me forever to get to posting about our trip to New York, my excuse is that Nicole had my computer so bogged down with her High School Historian pictures that I couldn't download the New York pics....so now that I resolved that problem, I am back! The first stop on our "real" vacation was the beautiful town of Palmyra New York, where we toured all the church history sites and did baptisms for the dead at the Palmyra Temple. The best part for me was the time we spent in the Sacred Grove, individually with our scriptures. The weather was beautiful, with a few sprinklings of rain...this is such a beautiful part of New York! We even got to go to a parade in Palmyra....the Fireman's Parade, it was quite an event!

After a few days in Palmyra we flew on to NYC, we had the best time, we even decided to stay an extra day and go to another show! We saw "The Little Mermaid", "Mary Poppins", and "Legally Blonde", we went purse shopping on Canal Street and that was so hilarious...to go into these little tiny shops,through a secret door, and into the basement to see their knockoff purses, and then to haggle over the price with them was an adventure too! We took a great bus tour of the city, a day tour and a night tour and it was beautiful at night and we learned alot of fun stuff. We went to "The Metropolitian Museum of Art" and "The American History Museum", we went to the Manhattan Temple, Ground Zero, St. Paul's Cathedral, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Ellis Island, and The Statue of Liberty. We went to bed late and got up early every day and we had so much fun together!

We also enjoyed walking through Central Park several times and going to Magnolia Bakery for their delish cupcakes, and frozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity, our dinner at Serendipity was also one of the best meals we had in the Big Apple, although we did find the best pizza ever, in a little hole in the wall pizza joint near our hotel, and their pasta was amazing! We went to Rockefeller Center, where there were some great views of the city. It was a once in a lifetime trip as a family....meaning the next time our kids go their own husbands will have to take them and pay for them, but I am sure Shane and I will go again at some point. Ha,ha :)

We were riding the subway back to our hotel one evening, as the doors closed there was this booming voice behind us saying, "Alright, EVERYBODY LISTEN UP! I lost my job and haven't been able to find a new one. I used the last of my $ for the subway ride home,and I haven't eaten since breakfast!" I thought for sure we were all going to be mugged, I was afraid to look back to see if he had a gun cuz he was standing right behind us....then he continued..."So if there is anyone who has any food that they could share with me I would really appreciate it" I looked at him and I could tell he wasn't a homeless man....just someone who was about at his breaking point and was looking for help. We happened to have a box of cupcakes that we were taking back to our hotel, so Nicole and I both decided to give him one, he was very grateful and when we appoligized for it being kind of messy...He just smiled and said, "It is food, God bless you!" I have thought alot about this incident, and about how sometimes our fear can hold us back...when he first started talking to everyone we were all nervous and scared, some people wouldn't look at him, some were trying to figure out what was going on....but as he continued, if you listened you could tell that he was sincere and just wanted some kind of kindness. We all want a little kindness, some tender mercy, but how often do we allow ourselves to be someone elses tender mercy. We often become so busy in our own lives, so wrapped up in our own thoughts,and sometimes our fear holds us back, I just hope I can use this experience to remind me to be more aware of others, to be more kind. Sorry to ramble on, and on...just thinking outloud I guess.

4 comments:

marian said...

hi family sounds like fun

wandering nana said...

I love the travel log but I must admit, my favorite was the end story. We seem to see this a lot here... especially in our ward. The majority of the people the elders work with are in the poor area. Some are trying to improve and others just want handouts but who are we to judge. It's a hard thing to learn. I have really tried to be nicer at the stores and everywhere we go, holding a door open, saying thank you or just smile. Thanks for the reminder

Michele said...

robyne... this sounds like so much fun! of all the church history sites, the sacred grove is always my favorite also. and it sounds like your nyc trip was awesome! you did a lot of the same stuff we did... frozen hot chocolate, magnolias, and broadway! i have heard may poppins is amazing! i bet your girls will remember this trip forever.

Nicole said...

This really was the trip of a lifetime! thanks for taking us! I loved every second of it, even our 50 mile walk, well at least it felt that long! ha ha and mom, i read what you said about tender mercies, and looking out for others and I cried. Thanks for reminding me to be better at that.