Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wishing you were here.....


I absolutely LOVE Christmas!!!!! As I am sure you know , ha, ha. Our Christmas' are pretty traditional in that we love to be together as extended family, there is always lots of yummy food, we love Christmas music, and did I mention the yummy food??? We also have our own traditions that Shane and I established in our own home, traditions that our girls count on and love. Traditions bind us together as a family...extended and immediate.

This year will be different for us, as our Christmas Celebrations have always centered around Shane's parents. EVERY year since we have been married (that is 21 years) we have had a huge Christmas Eve dinner with the whole family all 6 kids, spouses, grandkids, great grandkids, my Dad, and usually other family members, friends, or in-laws. We had a wonderful Christmas Dinner, sometimes played Christmas songs on the Chimes, the kids always acted out the nativity, and there was always a small gift in the "Giant Sock" for everyone from Santa. On Christmas Day we each did our own family stuff before heading back to Grandma's for Christmas Brunch and to watch them open their presents.

This year is our first Christmas without Barbara. Our second without Delbert and Dad. This year will be different. Of the 6 families, 4 want to start their own Family Traditions for Christmas. This year will just be us and Debbie's family, I am so grateful that they still wanted to do this together, in the past year and a half so much has changed and I 'm just not ready to change Christmas Eve yet.....maybe someday.....maybe.

For now we will enjoy being together with Deb, Jim, Jenny, Scott, James, Anna, Lisa, Clayton, Houston, Benjamin, Chris, Liz, Matt, & Zach. I can't wait!!!! I am so excited for Christmas Eve!!

It is exactly 1 year ago today that my Daddy died, it has been an emotional day. I know he still watches out for me, I feel him, sometimes I hear his voice. I miss him so much, but I am so grateful for the knowledge that I will see him again! I am happy that he is no longer in such terrible pain! So while we celebrate a different Christmas this year, we focus on Him whose birth, life, sacrifice, and resurrection make our lives complete....even Jesus Christ! Through Him we are able to overcome all things and return to our Father in Heaven. This I KNOW to be TRUE!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Mom, I agree, completely. It's going to be so hard to not have both Grandma and Grandpa there. I'm glad Aunt Debbie's family is still having us over, I don't know how much change I can take in such a short period of time. I love you mom, a whole lot.

Mandy said...

I am really sad that we are not doing the big London family party, like you since I have been married that has been one of the many Christmas traditions I have loved. I love you all and will miss being with you. It will be different this year but I will always have the memories to look back on.

wandering nana said...

I know what you mean about things changing. I miss our old Christmas traditionals but the new ones are good too. I love the memories that we have from those who aren't with us. I miss you. I still can't believe how much your girls have grown.