Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Delemia of a School Librarian


I.LOVE.BOOKS. Especially children's books! This is why I love my job so much. I get to read children's books to children, I get to select children's books for our school, and I get to work with the kids in the media center.

Awhile back I selected this book:


"Its A Book" by Lane Smith! I absoutley love this book, comparing reading a book to the digital age we live in of texting, facebooking, and blogging. It is hilarious! So what is my delemia? Well there are 3 characters in the book, Mouse, Monkey, & Jackass. I have no problem with the names or with saying Jackass as a name. However, in the last page of the book Mouse says,"It's a book, Jackass!" It reads like Mouse is calling Jackass a Jackass, instead of by his name. Hence my delemia......to read it outloud without sarcasam!

I tried with a 6th grade class........did not work.....they were laughing throughout the whole book! I gave up and just put it on the shelf for kids to check out. Now the book is always checked out (which is great) but, I am just waiting for a parent to come in and talk to me about the book! Did I mention that one of the greatest things about my job is that I get to work with the kids, but I don't have to deal with the parents......those days could be history!

2 comments:

Emmie-Lew said...

LOL! I need to get that book! Hilarious! I love you for reading it to them! :). Miss you...

Nicole said...

This post did cheer me up. Although I much like my idea for a title better:

"It's a Blog, Jackass"

(I'm not putting money into the swear cup for that)