Sunday, August 23, 2009

Remembering a Mother



I have been so lucky to be blessed with the greatest in-laws ever! Throughout the years Del & Barbara have done so much for us and for other members of their family. I can't count the times they helped us out, but mostly they just loved and supported us in all that we did. Of course they were fabulous grandparents, doting on all of their grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

Delbert passed away about 17 months ago and we have all felt such a loss, but it was especially hard for Barbara. In February her dementia had got to the point that she needed 24 hour care. We were able to move her into The Stratford which is a memory care unit that is part of The Wentworth. This is the same facility where my father passed away so we were very familiar with the staff and felt comfortable having her live there. On July 25th we celebrated Barbara's 90th birthday, with a big family party held in The Wentworth's Activity Room. She looked beautiful, and was thrilled to be surrounded by her children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews and her 80 yr old sister, Colleen. A few days later Barbara came down with an infection, this caused her dementia to worsen, she became very agitated and uncomfortable. The infection was treated and healed, but she continued to decline and last Tuesday Hospice told us that it wouldn't be much longer. Shane stayed until about 1 or 2am, and Debbie spent the night there. On Wednesday morning Shane & I went over to be there when the nurse came. Later Shane had to go to a meeting at work and I sent Debbie home to shower and change while I sat with my beautiful mother-in-law. As I sat there I thought of all of the things I have learned from this woman. She blessed my life mostly by raising such a wonderful son. I couldn't ask for a better husband and father for my children. Barbara was always serving others, not only her family, but her neighbors and friends....and there were alot of those. Barbara was always happy and positive, she had a beautiful sense of humor, we all loved being around her. Barbara never spoke ill of anyone in all the years that I have known her she always focused on peoples good attributes. Barbara believed in treating everyone fair....children, grandchildren, she loved us all the same!

As I sat with Barbara I thought of how much I loved her and how grateful I am for her. I thanked her for all of these things and watched her sleep as I held her hand. It was only about 10 minutes since Shane & Debbie had left, it was peaceful and pretty quiet when a faint smile crossed her lips and she drew her last breath. I felt the spirit so strongly in her room, and I felt privileged to be there as she passed through the veil. I wonder how people without the gospel of Jesus Christ feel comfort and peace when they lose a loved one. I know that I am grateful for the knowledge that I have of a loving Heavenly Father, who is aware of each of us and our needs, the knowledge of a Savior who died for all of us so we can return to live with Him again. I am grateful also for the knowledge that life is eternal, that we will be reunited once again with our loved ones! We Love You Barbara and are so happy that you and Delbert are together again!!

3 comments:

wandering nana said...

Such a beautiful post. I cried as I read it because I remembered the Mr.'s mom. It brought back many sweet memories of the times I spent with her, especially when her sweet husband was so sick. I'm so sorry for your loss and please give Shane our love.

Mark n Sid said...

What a beautiful tribute! The gospel is truly a great blessing in our lives. Love you guys :)

Grandma's Goodie Jar said...

Robyne, this is beautifully written. It makes me recall the loss of my mother and father as I sat by their bedside when both of them passed on to the other side peacefully. The knowledge and testimony of Jesus Christ truly gives us comfort and peace. I cannot imagine the pain we would feel without that peace.
God bless, Linda Jaffa